- Section 107 (3) of the Law Reform (Marriage & Divorce) Act 1976 (LRA)- where a marriage is solemnized in Malaysia is dissolved or annulled by a decree of a court of competent jurisdiction outside Malaysia, either of the parties may apply to the Registrar General (JPN) for the registration of such decree and the Registrar General, on being satisfied that the decree is one which should be recognized as valid for the purposes of the law in Malaysia, shall register such decree.
- Practically, the Register General (JPN) requires a Resealing Order from the High Court of Malaysia to register such decree.
EFFECT: Record in National Registration Department (Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara) (JPN) will not be updated until the Order is resealed. The parties will not be able to remarry in Malaysia.
- A copy of the Applicant(s) NRIC/Passport;
- A copy of the Marriage Certificate;
- Two (2) Certified true Copies of the Interim Judgment (Divorce) by the Court; and
- Two (2) Certified True Copies of the Certificate of Making Interim Judgment Final by the Court.
- Estimated 1-2 months to complete (from filing the documents until JPN updates their records);
- The applicant is not required to attend the court hearing.